Karasawayama served as the castle and the residence of Lord Fujiwara Hidesato,who is renowned for a legend of "Killing of Centipede"and the subjugation of Taira-no-Masakado in a revolt of "Tengyo-no-Ran"that happened about 1,000 years ago.Though having an altitude of only 240 m,this hill is covered all over with Japanesered pines and is surrounded by the precipices and deep valleys,thus makes itself a natural fortification.Even now there remain many vestiges of the castle reminiscent of the bygone days.
The main deity of Shinto shrine Karasawayama Jinjya which sits on the top of the hill is Lord Fujiwara Hidesato,who spent his childhood in Tawara in the suburbs of Kyoto.Accordingly,he is also known as Tawara-no-Tota Hidesato.
In his days,in the middle of the Heian Era,at the Imperial Court in the then metropolis of Kyoto the clan of Fujiwara had ,from generation to generation,politicalinfluence ,sending the members of the clan to the Court as a regent or as the chief adviser to the Emperor.At the same time,within the clan struggles for political powerrepeated and the occurrance of the derangement of political bility both in Kyoto and in the provinces followed.Consequently,indigenous powerful clans started wielding arbitrarilly their infuluence.
In the 5th year of Encho(927),the lord was appointed Ohryoshi,a police head ,so to speak,of Shimotsuke(present-day Tochigi Prefecture).He constructed a castle on the hill of Karasawayma and ruled the area well.
Taira-no-Masakada,who was descended from the Emperor Kanmu happened to kill his uncle,Kunika,because of a dispute over the land that had been owned and left by his late father,gradually gained influencial power.On and after around the 2nd year of Tengyo(939),he started attacking 8 provincial capitals in Kanto (Kazusa,Simousa,Hitachi,Kozuke,Shimotsuke,Musashi,Sagami and Izu)one by one,sending the governors back to Kyoto and his governing the almost all of the area of Kanto.He finally declared himself an Imperial prince and did not obey the orders of the Court.
Being unable to remain indifferent to this kind of local disturbance,the Court gave Fujiwara Tadafumi the position of the commander-in-chief of an expeditionary force against the eastern revolt and sent him to Kanto for the subjugation of Masakado.But before this expedition force arrived,Lord Hidesato had surpressed
Masakado and his forces with the cooperation of Taira-no-Sadamori at Kohjima in Shimousa on the 14th of February in the 3rd year of Tengyo.This campaign is called "Tengyo-no-Ran".With this meritorious deed,the Court gave the lord a promotion, from Ohryoshi to Shimotsuke-no-Kami(the Governor of Tochigi Prefecture),in addition,ordered him to assume Musashi-no-Kami at the same time,and conferred him a higher court rank.Also,he was awarded a prize land for this exploit.
After this,from generation to generation,his descendants were the lords of the castle for about 700 years until the early days of Tokugawa Shogunate when Lord Sano Shuridayu Nobuyoshi had to move the castle to the present-day Shiroyama Park,which was called Kasuga-jyo Castle.
In 1613(the 18th year of Keicho),while this castle was still under construction, Sano family as a feudal lord was to be extinct by the policy of Tokugawa Shogun. Lord Sano Nobuyoshi was sent to Matsumoto Castle in Shinshu to be supervised, but 23 years later,Iemitsu,the 3rd Shogun gave a pardon.The two sons of the lord could reestablish Sano clan as a Hatamoto,and in 1867(the 3rd year of Keio),as a result of the abolition of clans and establishment of prefectures,Sano family became a shizoku(descendant of samurai).
After the Meiji Restoration,Sano family and the former retainers cooperated in organizing Takueisha and Tomeikai .To the memory of the benefit derived from the virtue of Lord Hidesato,they established the shrine on the site of donjon of the castle on the 25th of September of the 16th year of Meiji.On the 25th of October of the same year,the spirit of the lord was enshrined and since then the shrine has long been worshipped as the guardian deity of this area.